Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Two Bags of Cans


Here in Michigan we get 10 cents for each empty bottle or can of carbonated beverage we return. If there's something good about my home state, this is it. According to www.absolutemichigan.com, "A full ninety-six percent of eligible containers are recycled...[and] more than a half million tons of waste are diverted from landfills every year..."

Even though Michigan is the only state with a 10-cent deposit, I'm continuously surprised to find a good number of cans lying around. Some days I've even contemplated can and bottle collecting as a sort of full-time employment.

Like tonight. Next to a bush on a main thoroughfare, in the dark, I found two large paper bags of returnables. Maybe a professional can collector left them there. Maybe a bum. Or maybe a kid, a kid like I once was, collecting those 10-centers for some candy or a couple packs of baseball cards. If so, he was a stupid kid.

Never leave your bottles and cans in public.

And baseball cards aren't any good anymore anyway.

1 comment:

  1. I laughed hard.

    The thing I remember us scrounging for other than cans was fireworks. Of course this wasn't a year-round search, but post-Fouth it was a serious quest. Didn't we find a bag of fireworks once in that weird druggy park?

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

Ann Arbor, MI, United States